Monday, August 9, 2010

Vilankulo to Beira

Whilst TDM bus services plough the route from just outside Vilankulo to Beira in some five hours, and costing Mtc800, i maybe somewhat foolishly opt for the 4.30 local minibus (chapas) departure for Mtc450.Buy your ticket at least one day in advance and you can also reserve a specific seat. I am told this is not a bad or difficult journey to make. My LP guide says it’s a nine hour journey but locals tell me the road is in good condition at the moment and i’ll be there in eight.


Indeed this is the first journey where (at the moment anyway) the road is almost completely sealed. Extra seating inside is utilised by chairs that unfold in the aisles, so buses that are originally designed to seat 18 is extended to 26. I count some 42 in our bus at one point. Fortunately, unlike many of the chapas i’ve taken has a trailer, but i am charged Mtc100 to use it.

Two punctures and twenty plus stops later we arrive into Beira 10 hours and twenty minutes later.. I spend the time productively as i desperately try to gnaw off my unfeasibly long legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment