Friday, August 13, 2010

Beira to Quelimane

Like the roads of Mozambique, my relationships with chapas has been challenging and bumpy, so I end up opting for a real bus – TPB to escape from Beira. The TPB bus station can be found at No. 65 Rua Capitao Coelho.

The bus is scheduled to depart at 5.30am for Nampula (Mtc1000), but again decide to break up the journey by stopping at Quelimane (Mtc550). After all 20 hours straight on a bus (even non-chapas) can be weary and tiring.

The bus eventually departs at 5.45 and seems to race through, making me think that the ride can’t be so long. It is a somewhat smoother ride as well and with more space for my legs, but unfortunately it is still more than a 10 hour journey to Quelimane and i’m relieved to finally arrive at my destination, thanking myself for deciding not to go directly to Nampula.

Ying regularly reminds me my middle name is Patience, or what Mozambicans refer to as pacienca, but these locals are still in a different league to me. There is only so much poop i can put up with, the locals seem to thrive on it.

1 comment:

  1. The fun is about to begin!!! I participated in my first stampede on a Quelimane bus. I nearly trampled. Ended up standing in the aisle for the 12 hr. trip to Nampula...

    ReplyDelete