Thursday, January 14, 2010

Violence at the African Cup of Nations

Just because i smoke like a chimney at a nuclear power plant, does not mean i don´t have a lot of respect for human life.

The shocking scenes of the terrorist attacks on the Togo football team at the start of the African Cup of Nations football tournament held in Angola was totally shocking, and not surprisingly resulted in the Togo government pulling their team from participating in the tournament.

The vicious machine gun attack on the Togo team´s bus has outraged many and resulted in the death of the bus driver, and Togo team´s goalkeeper Dodji Obilale remains in intensive care.

Team captain and Premiership star Emmanuel Adebayor describes the incident in this BBC podcast.

The tournament, so close to Africa´s first World Cup in June, should be a celebration to be reveled in, not become a terrorist target. All Africa has lost out because of the actions of these small-minded murdering bastards.

It looks like Angola is added to my list of no-go areas for my travels which is a shame as it was on my "must see" list and will hamper my desire to complete my travels overland along the coasts of the continent. The other country that still looks too unstable for an on-the-road Aubs is Somalia - again a country that was high on my hit-list due to my friendships with Somalian students at my first school that i taught in.

It´s a bummer!

No comments:

Post a Comment