Sunday, January 10, 2010

Party-Time

Despite the treacherous weather, I brave the trip up to Hitchin to celebrate my Godson and nephew´s seventh birthday party.

my gorgeous Godson

Rail travel is awkward with several London Underground lines suspended or with minimal services provided.

Nonetheless, both Boy and I struggle over and we are pleased to have been able to join in Jonny´s celebrations for his seventh birthday. We also win additional brownie points for none of Thida´s family is able to attend.

Fortunately most of Jonny´s friends are from his local village school and 12 of the 18 children invited are present.

My sister-in-law certainly knows how to put on a party, providing a great spread with tables bulging to the seams with high quality food – somewhat more suited to adults rather than the children, including smoked salmon and turkey breast sandwiches. Brilliant methinks, and I thoroughly gorge myself to bursting point. Despite the high numbers most of the children are fairly quiet and polite, and it never gets too rowdy.

For entertainment, Thida (my Burmese sister-in-law) has hired a chappy called Mike from Science Boffins. He “performs” for an hour, and is really quite good with the kids, although completely fails to get the balance right between talk and experiments. And indeed, even his experiments appear fairly lame – magnets, balloons, and water pressure.

The kids seem to enjoy it and answer the questions asked with intelligence and appropriate vocabulary. The village school is government owned and is clearly educating their students well. Whilst Thida might wish to send them to a private school, it seems to be based solely on kudos rather than any real dissatisfaction at their current learning institution.

What interests me most is that for an hour, Science Boffins charge a whopping GBP250. Hell! I´m clearly in the wrong profession.

Mike - from Science Boffins - a rich man indeed!

I am most grateful to Thida for she has now set up both my nephews with an email account and at least I feel that even when I am on the road and travelling the planet, I can still stay in contact with them both directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment