Friday, January 1, 2010

I Love My Thesis

So I have made peace with my dissertation – no easy feat I can tell you.

G comes over this afternoon to assist me with the statistical analysis of my data and in four hours we have tested all my six hypotheses and produced supporting pictorial representations in a multitude of colourful and exciting graphs. G is a total star and an incredible friend. He tells me what to write as well, and i´m hopefully down to about 4,000 words to embellish the results and this thesis will be completed and ready for approval for submission.

The results and conclusions should make me a World Leader and Educational Guru in Early Literacy acquisition, but instead the dissertation will sit on the University´s library shelf collecting dust. What a worthy exercise this Masters course is! More like BS rather than an MA.

The stats are amazing. Through the implementation of an accelerated phonics programme, out of fifty five 4 and 5 year old students, 100% were operating above their chronological age in both reading and spelling. On average these Hong Kong students were operating 20 months above their chronological age in reading and 23 months above their chronological age in spelling. Truly outstanding – mind, at least half of them had a brilliant teacher.

Most of these students have English as an additional language. Even more earth-shattering is that students who operated in three languages were more successful than students who were mono or bilingual. A test never academically documented before.

So feeling rather chuffed and inspired a busy week awaits. I´m gonna put this baby to bed and then directly hassle my university for an early submission.

Not much of a New Year´s Eve I hear you say? Oh how wrong. It was truly remarkable and magical, if a little debauched and naughty. But isn´t that what New Year Eve is for?

To regular readers of Ketchup with Aubs, wishing you and all sentient beings a peaceful, magical, adventuresome and healthy 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment