Thursday, January 7, 2010

Brrrrrrrrrrrritain in Winter

Although a regular visitor to Britain, I rarely do a winter trip.

My last experience of winter in the UK was to perform my Godfatherly duties for Jonathan´s birth in 2004. In Jewish tradition it is the Godfather who holds the baby during their circumcision. It is amazing that my nephew even to talks me, let alone love me, after my role in this most intimate of bodily mutilations.

So with classic timing I arrive in Britain to experience the coldest winter in 30 years. Snow has covered much of Britain – up to 50cms in some parts.

Snow comes to the UK every year, but nonetheless the country seems to grind to a halt. Police recommend no-one should make any journeys unless “absolutely necessary”. TV news and national newspapers are filled with their “snow stories” and everything else has fallen by the wayside. More than 8000 schools are closed, and many county councils are now out of salt and grit. The cost to businesses is said to be more than GBP600 million per day. Just what recession-hit Britain needs at the moment.

Somewhat tragically, like some Dickensian novel, yesterday´s Metro News leading story reports that old age pensioners are buying hardcover books from charity shops to burn on their fires, such is the price of more traditional fuels.

I head up to the supermarket in my walking boots without any difficulty whatsoever. The cold is predicted to last another 10 days and therefore this situation will only deteriorate further.

the parental garden

No comments:

Post a Comment