Monday, January 4, 2010

Are You Ready For Your Own Death?

T.´s 2nd kid - Carla

I am always aware of my own mortality. As I write this now, the increasing seconds and minutes bring me closer to my own demise. Not to mention the Gold Flake cigarette I am puffing on at the moment. This isn´t just for Buddhists you know, it is for us all.

I would like to think I have lived life pretty much to the full. I have travelled the World, shared incredible life experiences in so many different environments and circumstances with many incredible individuals, have found my vocation as an Early Years teacher and received incredible love from both family and friends from around the World.

One day i´m making the dawn walk with T. to our school in the outskirts of Bogotá. T. is a Canadian, and a few years older than me. He is also a complete adventure seeker whose passions include bike touring, running and climbing.

Traffic is horrendous in the Colombian capital and it was often quicker to walk the 12kms rather than get the Staff Bus.

Unfortunately, both Bogotá and especially our exclusive international school is very formal and we have to wear suits and ties. Thus we usually can only do this on co-curricular days when we are dressed in sportswear.

The skies are clear that morning and huge cobwebs glitter in the morning dew. T. has just found out that his wife is pregnant for the second time in 18 months. He loves his son very much, but had no intention of having a second. He starts talking about searching the Internet to find something he could slip his misses that would cause her to abort. T. is so gentle and kind, I am completely shocked and horrified.

T. then throws me a curve ball. He asks me to picture my own death-bed and then asks to think of what my biggest regrets will be. I did and I was very disturbed, humbled and ashamed. At least I am more prepared now. I think i would just prefer to be run down by a bus and not have to contemplate anything.

Give it go for yourself – a classic party game. Cheers T.

No comments:

Post a Comment