Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Life On A Skateboard


Every city, town and village in India has beggars. And with its compassionate Tibetan population as well as a transient international population, Mcleod Ganj probably has more than most for its size.

Walk down The Ganj´s two roads, the Temple kora or head on the roads out to Dharamkot or Bhagsu and you´ll find them, or indeed, they will find you.

I have put a couple of postings on beggars before and specifically to the scamming by the South Indian women in the village.

I know almost all of the long term beggars and greet them with a Namaste, palms together. I very rarely give with no real rhyme or reason in deciding whether I do or don´t. I am more likely to give when I am on the kora, and I always give a “modeling fee” if i take a photo. Mainly it depends on how much small change I have on me at the time.

It can be somewhat disturbing, with many victims of elephantiasis, polio, and other forms of mutilation and disfigurement.

Many live life on a skateboard. This guy wheels himself up and down Temple Road all day and the slope is considerable. I am often tempted to offer to push him up the hill when I see him struggling up, but I resist every time.

He looks particularly miserable today so I offer to take his photo. That puts the smile back on his face. I take just a couple of quick shots and show him the results. Cheekily, he asks for Rs 20, but I only give him Rs 10. What a tight ass!

No comments:

Post a Comment