Thursday, October 23, 2008

Beggars


One of the more challenging aspects of living in, or travelling through India is the amount of beggars on the street. For the uninitiated, it is difficult to confront. Beggars come in many shapes and forms, often quite literally! In any village, town or city, they are always out in numbers. Most passers-by choose the “ignore” strategy; they do not exist. A few, will stop and pass on a few coins – often more affluent folk.

There are no doubts about it, I cannot adopt the “ignore” strategy. At the same time, I would be bankrupt pretty soon if I gave to all and sundry. I will always greet them with a “namaste” greeting, and, if familiar with them, ask them how they are doing today? Indeed I now have a few friends in town who I meet and greet in the streets. It seems to brighten both our days! I hardly ever give more than a greeting. One particular guy who can be found sitting outside the post office has had some really nasty abrasions on his hands and feet, so I picked up some antiseptic cream for him. Unfortunately I fear he now always expects more than a greeting.

This is just a basic overview and a topic I will return to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment