Sunday, October 5, 2008

Caffeine Fix

I never drank hot drinks until I was 24. My teeth were rotting away through Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper abuse. Tea was undrinkable in any form and my only exposure to coffee was my mum´s Nescafe. I finally discovered “real” coffee when I was living in Hong Kong. What an enlightenment! A wild variety of flavoured coffees including chocolate/raspberry, double chocolate/mint, and wild peach were readily available from Coffee Château. The ultimate blend however was Blue Mountain from Oliver´s Deli retailing at a costly US$8 for a miserly 100g. Bloody awesome stuff though – dark, rich, aromatic and lustrous. Not surprisingly, the first purchase when relocating to Bogotá was an espresso machine. A veritable coffee heaven awaits caffeine fiends! My biggest concern when moving to India was a lack of a decent caffeine fix. Five packets of Juan Valdez was placed lovingly into our boxes to be sent. Regrettably these were confiscated by Colombian officials. Devan coffee is available in the supermarket here, however Juan Valdez it is not!

No comments:

Post a Comment