Thursday, October 2, 2008

India – A Smoke-Free Zone?

To coincide with Mahatma Gandhi´s birthday, India today banned the use of tobacco in public places. This global phenomena is getting out of hand. A spokesman said it was important that India kept in line with other 1st World Nations – a pretty crap excuse! CNN claimed that 900,000 people die each year in India from smoking-related diseases. In the words of the late and great guru – Bill Hicks “guess what? Non-smokers die every day!

I am a fairly environmentally aware citizen. I don´t use plastic bags, recycle paper bags, refill water bottles and I don´t drive a car. However, I am made to feel a social leper for my only vice. I am hoping this law is not going to be rigorously enforced in Himachal Pradesh.

I remember being in New York when they introduced the Smoking Ban in April 2003. Within 48 hours a club bouncer had been stabbed to death by a disgruntled patron. I was convinced it would be rescinded within days. No such luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment