Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Night Skies in McLeod Ganj


Having suffered insomnia for much of my life, one gets used to embracing the dark. In desperation to complete my Masters thesis I have often worked throughout the day, but undoubtedly I have been far more productive and perceptive in critique during my late night work sessions.

It is quiet and so peaceful in the village as night descends, and fortunately the wild barking village dogs that hang out on the streets, mostly stay well away from my bedsit.

Of course, living in a rural village means that light pollution is minimal, and when the skies are clear, the stars provide some most wonderful illuminations. Caught at the right time and the whole galaxy spiral can be seen above the highest mountain peaks with serial shooting stars. Indeed, I love the often regular power-cuts late at night, for they provide for even more spectacular night time skies.

I was up late again last night. At about 2.40am I go for a smoke on the veranda. The voluptuous almost fully complete moon illuminates every crevice in the valley and on the mountains; it is like a magical fairyland with both its intense light and casting spectacular moon-shadows. Despite it being well into winter, my thermals keep me warm and swathe myself in the beauty of the Himalayan valleys.

No comments:

Post a Comment