Saturday, December 5, 2009

Some of My Best Friends are Monks

Alright…I confess i´m a complete heathen.

Despite my culturally Jewish background, I have been an atheist for as long as I can remember. I can often be particularly scathing of Christianity, most forms of organized religion and any form of religious fundamentalism and extremism. The number of deaths caused under the banner of religion throughout the history of human existence is both outrageous and sickening.

I have also abused my body to excess and lived life to the full, if not always in the most appropriate of ways.

Yet somewhat ironically, my two best friends during my 18 month stay in The Ganj have been South Asian monks.

Both Phra Phi Tun (from Northern Thailand) and Mhue (from South Vietnam) became regular visitors for coffee and alcohol respectively. They were also welcoming in inviting me to share their food on several memorable occasions.

Both Phi Tun and Mhue share several commonalities – beyond just being Buddhist monks. They are kind, generous, thoughtful, giving, welcoming, peaceful, honest, humble and extremely loving and friendly.

I can only presume that they are just exercising compassion for the fallen.

Mhue - not only a friend but a new brother and fresh coffee supplier


Phra Phi Tun not only made an excellent coffee-bud, his Thai chicken soup and fried chicken were amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment