Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Preparing to Move On

I catch up with Dr Gloves today for the first time in a while. He asks me how I am getting on with what he calls “the monumental move”.

To be honest I am doing alright considering i´d quite like another 18 months in The Ganj. My first box is now apparently waiting for me in my parents’ garage, and a second box is close to being packed and shipped off next week.

I´ve given away almost all that I possess to Gu Chu Sum Tibetan refugee centre – and it feels liberating to rid myself of material possessions. I can now minimize the load to carry to UK with my Masters material taking top priority.

My University continues to frustrate me, and i´m still waiting news on feedback and approval for my Methodology for my thesis. There are still another 3 submissions to follow.

Today was grey and overcast, and snow threatens tonight. The village empties considerably for winter is here with vengeance. Some favourite restaurants have now closed until February including Ashoka and Luang Ta Japanese restaurant. However I do love the peace and tranquility that prevails in the village.

I seem to find myself doing daily koras (complete with prayer-wheel spinning) around the Dalai Lama temple. I am dedicating them to special friends far away in the hope of bringing some comfort and peace of mind to both them, and somewhat selfishly, myself.

one of three large prayer wheels - well if nothing else it keeps me fit

My fellow regular Tibetan pilgrims on the kora seem to be particularly impressed by my increased “religious” fervor, and they break out into encouraging smiles as I count out and turn the largest wheels 8 clockwise revolutions - 8 being a particularly auspicious number both for Tibetans and the Chinese.

more wheels on the kora

I´m trying to put together my 97th article for Lonely Planet – an updated restaurant guide to The Ganj; now that is my kind of research. There are a couple of new cafes and restaurants opened up on Temple Road in the last few months, and it gives me a good excuse to check them out.

This is my third move in 18 months across three continents so I should be used to such changes by now, but it is not always easy. However, i think about the African continent exploration I will soon embark upon and it helps ease the pain of leaving The Ganj.

Just 12 days left to play in the village.

No comments:

Post a Comment