Sunday, October 18, 2009

Shooting the Dalai Lama (Again)


With Diwali crackers and fireworks being set off sporadically throughout the night, I don´t think i managed more than 2 hours sleep last night.

I´m out the door by 7am in clear weather and make my way over to the Main Temple. Security is nuts, and it takes me 20 minutes to clear the body-checks. Every camera lens is individually inspected and a complete pat-down of my person - and i mean COMPLETE!

Trying to find a strategic position for the arrival of His Holiness Dalai Lama, I park up right in front of a security barrier. Lobsang, my editor, is close by and he tells me I´d be better off on the other side of the central aisle, so i quickly scramble across. I´m not there more than five minutes when one of the Tibetan security guards comes over and moves me right into the centre. Sorted, i´m thinking - i have a completely clear view of the central arrival aisle.

Three minutes before the entourage arrives, a second Tibetan guard hustles me back from where i originally started, by which time there are huge throngs and it´s a battle to find a shooting position.


Taiwanese Delegation in Prayer

Dalai Lama normally meets and greets the class on his arrival into the complex, and takes time to stop and talk briefly. I guess, due to tightened security, he strides purposefully into the temple with just a brief wave to the huge Taiwanese delegation. He is up and past me within seconds, so i quickly make a dash upstairs to try and catch him again. On the second level he is surrounded by both Tibetan and Indian security guards (the latter waving enormous semi-automatic rifles). There is a huge surge and mass bundling, and HHDL has gone again.


The inner temple on the 2nd floor where the class is to be delivered is restricted for monks only, so myself and the three other press photographers head to the central doorway, zoom lenses at the ready. It takes almost an hour for HHDL to take his seat in the throne. Shutters run wild for about 20 seconds before he begins talking into the microphone. As soon as he addresses the audience, security come out and tells us that no more photos are allowed until the end of class.

With not much else to do, I take a few pictures of some of the pilgrims and then head downstairs and back outside on the temple courtyard to warm up in the sun and listen to the translation on my MP3. It´s much more relaxed outside, with Tibetan families enjoying a Sunday together. There must be more than 3000 people at the temple from across the World. As well as the Taiwanese organisers and delegations, there is are special sections for Spaniards, Romanians and Koreans.

Rather than teachings, HHDL delivers a religious ceremony - the Avalokiteshvera Initiation which is aimed at Tantric (high order) practitioners. I can´t follow much of the translations with 5 jewelled paths on different states of consciousness. I do find his suggestions on breathing; inhale others´ suffering and exhale love, pretty cool though and i´ll incorporate into my meditation sessions.

The toddlers and kids run around, and the Western devotees (with a large propensity of what we call in London “crusties”- all dreadlocks, facial hair, tattoos and facial piercings) sit in devoted contemplation. The session runs late, and i´m starving, but i´m desperate to try and grab a few more Dalal Lama shots. A Mitsubishi is led right up to the foot of the temple steps and HHDL is whisked away faster than an Ann Summers catalogue.

Whilst classes carry on in the afternoon, they are not led by HHDL, and i´m too tired and disinterested to return. No disrespect to Dalai Lama, who is an extraordinary human being, but it has all been somewhat underwhelming really.

HHDL continues his teaching in McLeod Ganj on the 20th for another 3 day teaching. He then flies out to Japan at the end of the month. It has just been confirmed that there will be yet another two day teachings on the 24th and 25th November in McLeod Ganj on Atisha's Lamp of the Path To Enlightenment (jangchup lamdron) at the request of Russian devotees. An additional bonus for Buddhist boffins.


my new FB profile photo and flckr upload - my fave of the day

I´m pleased to report HHDL appears to be in excellent health and his vitality, bonhomie and strong sense of humour remain undiminished.

A few additional photos can be found by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment