Friday, May 28, 2010

Tsumeb Swallows

I love football - “The Beautiful Game”.

Sitting in the park on our first visit to the town i am approached by a young teenager waving a formal typed letter with a Swallows stamp on it. He is raising money for his local football team to buy shirts. I wish him luck but i genuinely don’t have any money on me.

Arriving back in Tsumeb yesterday i am approached by a different boy with the same formal letter. I dig in my pocket and draw out N$5. At which point the original teenager comes round the corner and sees the transaction. A fight ensues between them. I tell them to cool down, after all the money goes to the team. They do stop fighting, but this now appears to be a begging scam, rather than a genuine team.

I won’t ever be supporting the non-existent Tsumeb Swallows team again.

No comments:

Post a Comment