Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Global Citizen

Both Lost Jonny and Ying ask what i mean by self-defining as a Global Citizen.

Although acutely aware of my formative years spent in England, not least by my varying London accents, I can, at a push say i´m English. But i´m not really. My grandparents were born in four separate countries in Europe. Stand-up and marathon runner extraordinaire, Eddie Izzard says he defines as a European, but i´m not that either, i´m much more global. Spending years out of Europe in Asia and South America i have affinity to each of these continents.

Take a look through my contacts on Facebook and i am linked to some 400 people located in more than 40 countries on five continents.

My English is quite good; i speak pigeon Spanish, and can be understood in Bahasa, and Cantonese. I can even understand some basic stuff in French. We are all multilingual to a varying extent.

I have three blood brothers, but other brothers too, from Indonesia, Pakistan, India and now indeed Haiti.

Africa marks the 7th continent for me to travel. I am a global citizen.

1 comment:

  1. Go, Aubs, go! (and then come back again, of course :-) )

    ReplyDelete