Sunday, May 9, 2010

GAP Students

Between completing my Sociology degree and beginning teacher training, i took a year off, enabling me to pay off my whopping student overdraft and spend three months travelling around in India. Much of this time was spent in Bristol working 15 hour days, seven days a week, as a directory enquiries operator. In those days this was quite unusual, but now it is pretty much commonplace. Indeed these GAP students travel, even before embarking on their graduate programmes.

I meet several here in Namibia. Young and pimply, they follow a similar trend. Usually from middle and upper middle class backgrounds, it’s their mummies and daddies who pay for this extravagance. Lucky bastards!

They all show a reluctance to return to England, and i can’t really blame them. I chat to three this morning who take pride in having arranged to sort out a postal vote in today’s UK General Election. I ask who they voted for and in unison they respond “Conservative”.

No comments:

Post a Comment