Friday, February 19, 2010

Opportunities Knock

Strange shit happens. Opportunities arrive out of the blue and sometimes I just get a calling.

So I am a qualified school inspector for both Council of International Schools and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, and I have been short-listed to inspect an IB school in the Dominican Republic for mid-April. I´m meant to be in Namibia then and I was going to turn it down. Indeed, i turned down the previous inspection in invitation for Mexico and have actually only completed 1 inspection in Rio back in 2006.

They are full on, with early starts, non-existent lunch breaks and work continues well into night. In Rio I observed more than 30 classes, chaired a group on PE, and worked on three other subcommittees resulting in a 140 page report in a five day period. Nonetheless it does give great insights into international schools and teaching as well as excellent networking opportunities with other international school managers and teachers across the globe. Flights and very comfortable accommodation and food are provided.

What the hell – it´s next to Haiti and Bolty gives me a project and organization to go through as well. As if I needed any further incentive to complete this f***ing thesis! The end is finally in sight as I prepare the paper for final submission - Coleridge’s proverbial albatross. The quicker I finish, the faster i´ll be out of here.

Ever the sage, Dr Gloves reminds me that I have a potential lifetime to travel the Dark Continent. It doesn´t matter whether I start my African adventures in March, April or May.

New Plan of Action – Aim for mid March in Port Au Prince, Haiti, inspection in Dominican Republic 17th – 25th April and aim for an arrival in Windhoek Namibia by the end of the month. I´m all packed.

2 comments:

  1. Going to Port au Prince will be interesting to say the least!!

    Africa will not change in a couple of months from what I've seen, as Dr Gloves says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. still awaiting confirmation - it would be really interesting at this moment in time

    ReplyDelete