Monday, September 28, 2009

World Cup 2010 Run In - Part One


Having put the finishing touches to the Methodology part of my thesis, I see the World Cup looming.

As part of the run-in i´ll be putting up a smattering of football-related postings.

It seems appropriate to begin with England´s recent qualification. Our Italian manager has managed to get England playing with greater confidence

Fabio Capello has his sights set firmly on the Soccer City Stadium in Johannesburg next summer and the evening of Sunday, July 11; it is the date of the World Cup final and he expects his England team to be one if the participants.

Not since Alf Ramsey famously predicted that England would win the World Cup prior to 1966 has an England manager allowed himself such a bold boast. Asked what would constitute success for him next summer, Capello replied instantly: ‘To arrive at the final; to play the final.’

As for winning it, that can wait. ‘To play in it would be enough . . . for now,’ he added, breaking from his usual earnest demeanor into laughter.

"For now, playing in it will do, rather than winning it. But if people are asking me what my aspiration is, then it is to reach the final."

"I know the expectations will rise," added Capello. "Other people will help that, as well as our results [in qualifying].

"But that is the past now. It is nothing. For me and the players it is gone.
"Those eight games mean absolutely nothing now. I know all about England's history.
"But the most important thing when you go to the World Cup is the physical condition of the players. The best players have to be fit."

Capello, 63, is a former Italy international and would like to meet his native country in next year's final.

"I hope the final will be England versus Italy," he added.

"I always said I did not want to be Italy manager. My dream was to be here. This is the big challenge of my career."

For a man who is principally concerned with dampening down expectations after England’s spectacular 5-1 win over Croatia a few weeks ago, it was a bullish response and all the more startling as Capello is not given to exaggerating England’s hopes of ending what will be, by next July, a 44-year wait for a second World Cup.

"Playing in the final would be success," said Capello.

No comments:

Post a Comment