Thursday, September 10, 2009

To Squat or Not?


a typical Spitian Squat Job!

I´m regularly asked if i have a sit-down toilet in the apartment. It´s true I do – but squatting just seems a much more natural evacuation posture and i always shit better in a hovering position.

The down-side of squats really occurs over its hygienic state. I´ve encountered some seriously unpleasant ones on my many back-packing journeys throughout Asia.

But is there anything better than shitting in the woods? I had some of my best experiences trekking in Nepal last Christmas. It´s a surreal experience to be squatting in front of a moon-lit scenic Himalayan mountain landscape. After all that dal bhat has got to be expelled somewhere. Just make sure you "leave it as you find it" and tidy up after yourself.

The only time i appreciate the sit-down variety is when I have a rare virus attack. I guess i appreciate the distance put between myself and my excrement.

No comments:

Post a Comment