Friday, September 25, 2009

LSD - a Treatment for Psychiatric Disorders?


I´ve been listening to a few more BBC Radio documentaries. A particularly interesting one was a review of the now dead British comic, Frankie Howerd.

It described how Howerd was prescribed LSD which led him to recollect his father´s physical abuse as a child – a claim that was hotly disputed by Frankie´s sister.

LJ (´coz he knows) informs me that LSD was a fairly common prescription for a myriad of psychological disorders. He points me in the direction of Hollywood legend, Bristol born Archibald Alexander Leach aka Cary Grant.

Cary Grant, who took LSD more than sixty times under the therapeutic auspices of Dr. Mortimer Hartmann and then Dr. Oscar Janiger, had this to say about his treatment in 1959:

"All my life, I've been searching for peace of mind. I'd explored yoga and hypnotism and made several attempts at mysticism. Nothing really seemed to give me what I wanted until this treatment."

"I have been born again. I have been through a psychiatric experience which has completely changed me. I was horrendous. I had to face things about myself which I never admitted, which I didn't know were there. Now I know that I hurt every woman I ever loved. I was an utter fake, a self-opinionated bore, a know-all who knew very little.

I found I was hiding behind all kinds of defenses, hypocrisies and vanities. I had to get rid of them layer by layer. The moment when your conscious meets your subconscious is a hell of a wrench. With me there came a day when I saw the light."

Respect!

3 comments:

  1. What about Jonathan Aitken, the typically corrupt and disgraced former Conservative MP? He who took LSD in 1966 and saw "visions of hell. Continents dripping with blood. Black men fighting brown men, fighting yellow men." That's what goes on that kind of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An impгessive ѕhare! I've just forwarded this onto a co-worker who had been doing a little research on this. And he in fact ordered me breakfast because I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So let me reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending time to talk about this issue here on your web site.
    Also see my page :: psychiatric mental health nursing

    ReplyDelete
  3. each tіme i used to read smaller cоntent that alsο
    сleaг their motive, and that іs also happenіng with
    this post which I am readіng herе.
    My page: Behavioral Mental Health

    ReplyDelete