Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Sort of Homecoming


Hong Kong. Loud, brash, beautiful, humid, modern and efficient.

It´s time to renew my permanent resident card, something I guess i´ll be doing every three years until I either move back there in desperation to top up my savings or die. It took me seven years to secure my residency and I am loathe to let it elapse. I had an amazing 12 years in the city, and the opportunities it provided me both in international schools and extensive Asian and Australasian travel were invaluable.

Not only do I get a chance to ketchup with many quality friends, both local and ex-pats but I still have close family members their too. Dr Gloves is back working at the University of Science and Technology, whilst Auntie J. still does some freelancing in the city. My parents and The Boy will be flying over there to meet up too. A real family and friends reunion.

My shopping list is vast and I fear I am in danger of spending more in 2 weeks in the metropolis than I have spent on the Indian subcontinent in 10 months.

A new MP3 player is vital following the slow death of Zen and I want to buy a small digital point and shoot camera that is able to capture good quality video footage and possibly be able to go underwater. There will also inevitably be a few choice food-products heading back up to Dharamsala.

Unfortunately there is some “nut and bolts” that needs my attention. There´s banking (HSBC are just top quality), a check-up at my old dentist (I just can´t bring myself to go in India), and sort out my laptop which will need to go in for servicing – it sounds as if a hoard of locusts have moved in to my hard-drive.

Blogs may well be sporadic and/or spartan, but I will try and capture some quality images despite the inclement weather there at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment