Monday, May 4, 2009

Observatory Hill


I finally made it up to Observatory Hill, the flat path around the bottom is usually too appealing to resist and takes in some great views. This holy site is quite unusual in that it is a holy site for both Buddhists and Hindus. Before the summit there is a small cave in dedication to Mahakala, a Buddhist deity as well as an angry incarnation of Lord Shiva. Very cool!

The path meanders up through giant Japanese cedars with huge signs warning of vicious monkeys, beautifully illustrated showing a gang of primates assaulting a Punjabi family. There was plenty of Indians, but I didn´t see one monkey. There are plenty of interesting pilgrims, including this toothless older woman.

The summit is stunningly decorated by shrines adorned in colourful prayer-flags. I dread to think of how many prayer flag photos I have taken in the last nine months! I might make a huge encyclopaedia of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment