Monday, November 30, 2009

Freelancing for Contact Magazine


Undoubtedly, my 18 months in The Ganj has been enriched through my connection with Lobsang Rabsel, editor of Contact Magazine.

Lobsang is a great and really sociable guy. He seems to know pretty much every Tibetan and International travellist who stays longer than 2 weeks in The Ganj. When not working in his office in the LHA building on Temple Road, he is hanging out at one of several “favourite” coffee-shops or restaurants.

I recently asked him about meeting HH Dalai Lama and he tells me he had met His Holiness twice. I ask him what he talked about. “Oh no, it wasn´t a private meeting, I was just part of a very large group”.

Contact Magazine is the only localised English Language magazine in Dharamsala, and being such a vocal voice for Tibetan propaganda, I was surprised that he doesn´t have regular private meetings.

Lobsang runs Contact almost single handedly, and is always appreciative of assistance. Whether you take photos, want to write articles, proof-read or help in advertising, he will welcome your help. He can often be found at LHA on Temple Road.

Not every assignment has been interesting – being stuck in a meeting for three hours conducted in Tibetan by dignitaries that I am clueless about, spring readily to mind. However, I was both honoured and privileged to be able to record the 50th Anniversary of Tibetans in Exile.

from the 50th Anniversary

I also really appreciate Lobsang´s efforts in getting hold of the press passes required. Security around the Dalai Lama continues to escalate and they are now like gold-dust to secure.

up, close and personal

Whilst very appreciative of my photography, Lobsang always says that my results are far more artistic than journalistic; I would totally agree with. However I am pleased to note that his screen-saver on the office computer, contain several of my photographs. However, I only made the front page once in the April 2009 edition.

my only photo to grace the front cover


Some more of my assignments can be found by clicking the individual links

Pre – 50th Anniversary puja
50th Anniversary
Dalai Lama teachings
Dalai Lama study
Surf liberation anniversary
Anti-Beijing Olympic protests

From the Anti - Beijing Olympics shoot

Tomorrow is likely to be my last Contact assignment. The village has organised a Fun Run for International AIDS Day tomorrow. Miss Tibet 2009 will be starting the run at 10am from The Main Temple in The Ganj to Bhagsu. I´m hoping it will be a classic – after all i will have to leave the bedsit by 8.30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment