Sunday, November 15, 2009

After the Storm and Some General Ketchup Too


After an incredibly severe 30 hour storm, my Internet signal was down in the bedsit when i awoke at about 8 this morning.

It is a beautifully fresh and sunny morning and i need to head into the village to collect some more supplies. I also need to shake off the cobwebs and feel i´m close to cabin fever anyway. I was up till about four listening to some Alan Bennett monologues.

After a particularly successful shop, i stop off at the Cyberpoint Internet cafe on Jogiwara. I´m too lucky! PT is on-line having safely returned from her week-long birthday trip in Disneyland. I have missed her too much and we have a lot to catch up on, and what was meant to be a 10 minute mail-check, turns into a most pleasurable hour or so of ketchup chat.

Sitting behind me throughout is a young Jewish American woman who is on Skype to her parents. She clearly has a lot to say, and the conversation seems completely one-sided. She speaks loudly and fast relating every moment of her visit to India. For at least half an hour she raps lyrically and enthusiastically about her few days in The Ganj; her volunteer classes, her students, the storm, what she had for breakfast, everything. She then tries to explain to her parents about her 11 day retreat at the Tushita Meditation centre which starts on Tuesday, and where no talking is allowed.

I´m curious to find out if she can shut up for 11 seconds, let alone 11 days. Maybe this was some sort of pre-cleansing ritual. Actually, it was lovely to hear someone else proclaim their undying love for The Ganj.

Another strange week for me, but fortunately no more poltergeist activity.

My departure date from India is now confirmed for December 23rd. Flying into London, Boy is picking me up, taking me directly to my favourite Chinese restaurant on the planet, helping me to unpack and repack, and then taking me down to The Shot for Christmas.

Boy and pregnant Nic

Heading back to Watford on the 26th, G. is booking me in for a few days of dissertation work – G. is a statistician amongst other things, and has kindly offered me further help on the data handling and final presentation of the thesis. If the thesis is accepted i´m looking at a 7th Feb departure towards the African continent, but a plan B escape route to Africa is also in the offing if there are further amendments required.

A run-around of The South of England and Wales is also on the cards, as well as a visit to my parents who will be wintering in Nice for my birthday. Back in England, games of tennis, badminton and golf (weather permitting) have already been scheduled, as well as a possible and very interesting photo-shoot in a new genre for me. More on that if it materialises.

Having finally had my resubmission of my penultimate Educational Review paper accepted - to huge relief on my part, I can begin submitting the thesis to my Dissertation Tutor in Oxford. Having completed the third draft of the Methodology (about one third of the thesis), this will be sent off on Monday. The Literature Review is also now close to completion leaving about 7,000 words to complete on stats, discussion and conclusions (of which i now have several). The end is now clearly in sight.

Unfortunately, I am feeling even more whimsical about The Ganj. Although i had thought about doing some side trips to Rishikesh, Kinnaur and/or back to Parvati, i just can´t bring myself to leave the village at the moment. If i didn´t have an African adventure to look forward to, i´d probably end up here for the rest of my days.

Having completed my seven day course of Tibetan medicine, apart from a continued sore throat, again, despite the bitter and vile taste, these herbal medications are fantastic. I´m keeping up a steady dose of hot lemon and honey to ease the throat, as well as to stay warm. Much more tasty.

Just 30 more days left in The Ganj then - the countdown has begun. I fear the emotions are going to run riot.

No comments:

Post a Comment