Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Travelling Salesman


Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting N. He is a young, hip Indian guy with a large imitation diamond stud, who clearly wants to practice English with me. He is a travelling salesman and his wares are varied – watches and mongoose/rabbit traps, which look like a cross between a giant elastic band and a condom.

Coming from UK, bunnies are a regular occurrence in more rustic areas but I haven´t spotted any here. Mongoose however are new to me. They are regular visitors spotted from the balcony, along with cows, goats and chickens. I know they eat snakes, but the only reptiles I have seen are a few tiny lizards. I love snakes! There must be many very hungry mongoose around! Why isn´t the plural mongeese?

N. tells me he was given a second name by a saddhu. “It means very simple mind and always innocent” he informs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment