Thursday, April 30, 2009

Caught In The Middle of Elections

Hoorah for the 2424 Express from New Delhi station! It left exactly at 2pm and arrived in to New Jalpaiguri just after 11am – just one hour late! However the ticket wasn´t cheap; Rs1635 in 3AC is a lot!

Unfortunately I did not get very much further.

It´s election day in this part of West Bengal – one of the poorer states of India. Communist flags are decorating every street corner. No buses or jeeps are moving today, so i´m now holed up in the hole that is Siliguri – what Lonely Planet charitably describes as a “vibrant, crowded trading hub”. It lies about 8kms away from New JPG reachable by taxi for RS150 or less. I decide to go with an honest-looking cycle rickshaw driver for Rs100.

However, I´ve been on the road long enough to know that you can always find moments of serendipity, even in the most rank of towns.

I head to the slums underneath the bridge on Hill Cart Lane and spend a pleasant hour going around. I´m invited for a chai at the local polling station and then mobbed by the children. It never ceases to amaze me how warm, friendly and happy these poverty-stricken people can be, despite literally being surrounded by shit.



After my misfortune at not reaching Darjeeling today I treat myself to a sumptuous dinner at the Eminent restaurant at what looks like one of the best hotels in town – The Hotel Conclave. Chicken tikka butter masala served to perfection with roti bread served hot, fressh and thin. Add on two fresh lemon sodas and it came to a very worthwhile RS200 (US$4).

I´m staying at the new – looking Hotel Mount View on Hill Cart Lane, opposite the bus stand. The beds are poor, the mattress very thin and I just saw a cockroach the size of my fist emerge from the sink. At Rs250 for a single, it´s overpriced. It boasts a fan and TV. There are 12 tv stations, all in Hindi, and 6 of them are showing cricket!

Buses cost Rs65 to Darjeeling, tickets sold at counter 13. A jeep will cost Rs95 with the first departure at 5am.

1 comment: