Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Port Elizabeth

My two chosen accommodation choices are both full in Port Elizabeth, so I have gone through www.findaroomin sa.com who have sorted me out in a deserted residential house in Summerfield, some strange suburb of the city. But then everywhere seems to be suburb.

However, it is so much quieter than the 24 hour party place on Long Street in Cape Town and appears to be a vuvuzela-free zone. My new housemates are all young Chileans who, despite their country collecting their second 1 – 0 victory in a row are all pretty chilled. Quite rightly they are disparaging of England’s performance at these World Cup finals and are very quick to point the finger at England’s Italian manager Fabio Capello. They become even more lucid, fuelled by the quantities of Piscola that are consumed.

Port Elizabeth – or PE as it is affectionately known – is recognised as predominantly a student town. Whether it is because I am only here because of the England v. Slovenia match, or because I have just come up from Cape Town, but I take an instant dislike to the place. It is spread out, lacks character and again I find myself in a non-descript place that really doesn’t feel like Africa.
Thus, my first excursion is to purchase a ticket out of here. I leave for Port St John’s via Umtata on Thursday morning.

Nonetheless, i am very interested to experience at least one World Cup game first hand, even if England may well implode again. It will be with mixed feelings that i take the shuttle-bus to the stadium early tomorrow afternoon.

the pier on the front

No comments:

Post a Comment