Saturday, March 20, 2010

Malaria

Following yet another vaccination session with Nurse Carol on Thursday, we get to sorting out the anti-malarial drugs. I am issued with an 18 month prescription of doxycycline – good for both Haiti and Africa.

Wikipedia kindly informs me the most commonly experienced side effects are permanent enamel hypoplasia, transient depression of bone growth (this might eventually stop my continuing growth – another 1cm has been added to my height in 20 months), gastrointestinal disturbances (i think this includes farts!) and some increased levels of photosensitivity. Due to its effect of bone and tooth growth it is not used in children under 8, pregnant or lactating women and those with a known hepatic dysfunction.


The total bill for 18 months is a whopping GBP106, although my pharmacist assures me i´m getting a bargain. I collect on Monday and will have to begin to self-administer immediately. I fear my rucksack is gonna be half-filled with these pills.

This now brings me to a total of GBP252 for Hep A, Rabies, Hep B, Polio, Diphtheria, Meningitis (my final injection to be administered on Tuesday), Tetanus, Typhoid, and Cholera: As Airways points out I should be now indestructible – at that price I expect to be.

Tom – my link man with HODR informs me malaria is now rife in Leogane, my base in Haiti. Great news and just what Haiti needs at the moment! And it is noted that doxycycylin is only 90% effective.

Meanwhile Metro News reported yesterday that scientists in Japan have developed an insect that delivers a vaccine as it bites - a genetically-modified anopheles mosquito. It is believed to be a possible answer to the 1.5 million deaths of malaria around the World. Previous experiments included making male mosquitoes infertile.

No comments:

Post a Comment