Monday, March 29, 2010

Alternative Work

A horrendous day running round town has finally found me in gainful employment through Martine´s recommendation in the Carrefour area of Port au Prince. Rather than a bit of manual labour with HODR, this organization runs an orphanage for some 38 children. This is far more suited to my skills as I have been known to struggle with Lego construction. Many of the children know some Spanish, and some understand a little English too. More details of this organisation can be found by clicking here.

Conditions are severely basic, with much of the home now resembling a building site following the earthquake. Unbelievably, the children were on an excursion on the 12 January and all survived the quake.

Project Leader Jean Luc is a cool laid-back guy and his sidekick Wilkens has been helping out at the orphanage for the last 14 months.

Running water and electricity has now been restored, but that is about all. I am promised shared tent accommodation, basic food, sodas and even cigarettes. Sometimes even Internet too!

The more of Port au Prince I see the more I find the city one complete shit-hole and I am not 100% convinced it was much better before 12th January.

Although my time is limited in Haiti i am delighted to be finally doing something to help, for my frustration levels have been immense.

Looking forward to a final vaguely decent night´s sleep. I am offered an 8am pick-up from the hotel tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. From what I have heard most of Port-au-Prince was a ghetto. That's why it fell down so easily. US and French policies have kept Haiti poor for many years. The US doesn't want too much democracy subverting its backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I am very proud of my nephew.

    ReplyDelete