Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Heading to Haiti

Having suffered some seriously bad side-effects (migraines and temperature) from my last series of injections it is with some trepidation that I head for my last shot this morning. Nurse Carol seemed keen to inject my meningitis shot into my thigh, but against my serious protestations she concedes to administer this into my arm – and it transpires it is the least painful of all the shots.

So from cozy bourgeois London suburbs I fly off tomorrow on a 48 hour journey into Haiti where i´ll spend 3 weeks living in a tent on rubble in Leogane with very limited water and electricity supply in the middle of the disaster zone. I´m armed with roll mat, mosquito net, masks and work-gloves for moving rubble and quite possibly dead bodies. Gone are my scrambled eggs and smoked salmon breakfasts and the exquisite Lea Gardens Chinese take-away restaurant. Not to mention the luxury of a proper bath as i return to bucket showers again. Nonetheless, i am looking forward to going back to basics.

Lap-top and camera will accompany me on this journey so there is a possibility of some postings finding their way onto Ketchup With Aubs, but i fear they may be somewhat sporadic. You are welcome to try your chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment