Friday, March 25, 2011

A Genuine Welcome – First Impressions

After my rather vicious diatribe at Egyptians, i find an immediate contrast with the Jordanians.

After checking into my hotel in Aqaba, my first mission is to get a SIM card for my mobile phone, so even though it’s already 9pm, i begin my search. Some 25 metres from my hotel i find a mobile phone shop and go in.

I am greeted with a warm smile by a bespectacled Jordanian in his thirties.

“Can i help you Sir?”

I explain my mission and he responds “No problem Sir. Do you have a passport? These days too much bureaucracy.”

I do and he immediately tries registering calling from his own mobile. With no response, he apologises and offers me a cigarette. Whilst waiting he asks me about my experiences in Egypt and the People’s Revolution. He blames the disparity of wealth in Egypt (as well as Bahrain and Libya), and predicts that nothing like that would happen in Jordan. With still no response from the registrar, he apologises again and asks whether i prefer coffee or tea. I request a Turkish coffee and he sends away one of his minions.

The boy returns with a piping hot one and when i pull out my packet of recently purchased duty free cigs, he insists i take another one of his. He won’t take no for an answer.

Finally, the registrar answers and the card is registered within three minutes. A glass of cold water is provided for me – “Welcome to Jordan. I hope you have a pleasurable stay”.

A perfect start for sure.

If you are in South Jordan it would be exceptional to catch up with you – gimme a call + 962 - 799 549 732

No comments:

Post a Comment