Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Lalibela to Addis

I am grateful to new “spiritual daughter” Lindsey who invites me to share her US$70 a night hotel room for my last night in Lalibela. The best shower in Africa for sure!

I have to be up at 3.40am to locate a minibus that’ll get me to Addis in one day. Lindsey is sensibly heading on at 7.30am to get her internal flight back to the capital.

Sure enough, Burnham locates one pretty quick. It’s expensive, and i am unable to haggle below Birr400.

Departing at 4.30 we drive to Wodia for a quick breakfast, before travelling for another seven hours for lunch. I am bought a delicious meal by one of my Ethiopian travelling companions. He has just returned from a business trip in England and is scathing of what he saw – predominantly the over-indulged British youth. A younger man joins in the discussion. He is a student living in the United States and has travelled into a few destination in Europe too. He is equally as scathing. Europeans are “animal” – eating working, sleeping with no idea on “how to live”. America is “spiritually bankrupt” with the only thought being the dollar. Both interesting observations and perspectives.

We breakdown at about 5pm and are stuck for some 40 minutes before proceeding slowly onwards.

By 8pm we still seem miles out of Addis and i am desperate to rehydrate and sleep. The mini-bus drops me in Piazza by 9.30pm and by 10 i have sprite and a room to collapse in.

No comments:

Post a Comment