Monday, January 3, 2011

Bahir Dar

 
Posted by Picasa
sunset over Lake Tana

On first viewing Bahir Dar has an almost southern France feel to it – a bit like Nice with wide streets with parallel palm trees. Hell – it’s almost like Nice. Add macchiato and a lake rather than the French Riviera. It is the Provincial Capital after all Lonely Planet – Africa insists it’s a great place to “spend some days”.

However, beyond the couple of wide boulevards, the small city is not very clean and not very interesting. I am told not to carry my camera around in the outskirts where my rather dodgy guest house is centred.

The highlight of the visit to Bahir Dar is to the 16th and 17th century monasteries. They lie on the islands of Lake Tana and are enchanting.

 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa
the angel of Death on an external wall

There are 20 altogether, but it must be somewhat tedious to do all. And expensive too! Each one costs Birr50 to enter, Some parts are not open to foreigners and some not open to women. I opt for three of them on my 3+ hours private boat trip costing US$12. All boast museums some of which in only the lowest forms. Literally, someone who speaks no English holds a book or relic up to the visitor.

 
Posted by Picasa
relic in one of the "museums"

It is possible to find others to tour with, thus reducing costs, but i can’t find anyone who wants to join me at 7am. Too early apparently!

The lighting is soft and the monks gliding around look immense, but a bit intimidating just to stick The Beast in their face – even though i have paid substantial money. Video cameras will cost a further Birr50.

 
Posted by Picasa
monastery jetty

There are some very unsavoury people in and around town trying everything to part you with your money. I am warned from openly carrying my camera and my overpriced hotel Birr150 at Anna Side Recreation is in a particularly dodgy area of town. I know several people that have raved about this place, and the lakeside monasteries are superb and worth a visit in itself, but i can’t say i like Bahir Dar. I’m very happy to move on up north.

 
Posted by Picasa
transporting papyrus on Lake Tana

No comments:

Post a Comment