Friday, November 26, 2010

The Beauty of MP3 Players

I have always loved music.

As a much younger back-packer i would bring a series of favourite cassettes with me for my Walkman and be forced to chose real carefully.

Then in the 1990s came the wonders of Mini-disc players. Smaller in size and digital sound quality too and i was in heaven.

These days of course the MP3 has revolutionised music listening. My much loved and treasured Creative Zen not only carries all my musical needs but stores favourite photographs, plays video and records sound too. Awesome.

My music tastes are somewhat eclectic from Bach through jazz, ambient and dub. All is catered for by my Zen – including the complete Throwing Muses and Kristin Hersh discography.

Indeed i even have fitted on a series of talking books including British playwright Alan Bennett and Michael Palin travelogues, for helping me get to sleep, as well as drown out background noise, not least from the ever pervading mosques that seem to be built specifically outside my hotel bedroom windows.

Others have had a input as well. Sniffy aka Lost Jonny gave me an 8mb sound card including diverse sounds from African roots music to Noam Chomsky lectures. Best Bud G. insisted on the uploading of both Glasvegas and The Fuckbuttons, and even a few tracks of gym sounds and Utah radio classics from Ying! I am also much indebted to Jandre for Port St. John who put a compilation of ambient dub sounds that has found a very popular audience.

Travelling and music has never been so easy and compatible.

No comments:

Post a Comment