Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Saturday Ritual - Watford Football Club


For my sins, I´ve been visiting Vicarage Road – the home of Watford Football Club - since I was four years old, and I always try and pay homage every year.

Born in nearby Garston, no-one could accuse me of glory-hunting; jumping on the bandwagon with Manchester United or the relative closeness of Arsenal. After all, as Philip Larkin would say, Watford is where my childhood was unspent.

The football club´s claim to fame is through the flamboyant Elton John – another Watford supporter addicted from an early age. Indeed, my marriage to K. was the first wedding to be held in the stadium.

My earliest travel experiences date from the time i would travel to away matches across England as a young teenager.

This year, i´m first able to attend a friendly against the Italian Series A team, Parma and watch an entertaining five goal thriller with Watford coming out victors.

There was also a moving one minute´s applause for the late, great Sir Bobby Robson – a true gentleman of football – repeated again at the first league match – Doncaster Rovers.

So it is with some confidence I´m able to witness Watford´s first match of the 09/10 season.

Click here to savour the pre-match anticipation.

Ouch! This one – all bore draw is like watching a nail rust, and Boy has to dig me in the sides to keep me awake for the full ninety minutes

I´ll listen to the live games on the potentially excellent although often erratic Watford World Home site, but i´m secretly pleased that I won´t have to watch the drivel.

I did get an opportunity to witness high-definition premiership coverage for the first time - gob-smacking!

Watford Football Club currently sit in position 12 of the Championship (2nd division), but it is going to be a long season.

No comments:

Post a Comment