Saturday, June 27, 2009

Indian Tourist Season


I mentioned a little about my return journey back from Spiti where I got caught in a five hour gridlock on the Rohtang Pass – pretty surreal stuff.

Dressed in rented mock furs and ski-suits, there are over a thousand Indians out on the mountain-slopes. Sleds, tyres and inner-tubes, ponies and yak are on offer to Delhites and Punjabis who are frollicing like children.

A New York travellist carrying a spanking new Nikon 700D is equally as impatient as myself to get back to Manali. “Where are the police?” quires the New Yorker to a driver.

“Probably on a yak,” responds the deadpan chauffeur.

The last 2 – 3 weeks in June marks the height of the Indian tourist season. The plains are at their hottest prior to the arrival of annual monsoons.

I am hoping that by this time next week we will return to some degree of normality.

No comments:

Post a Comment