Thursday, June 25, 2009

High Altitude Photographic Tips for Digital SLR Users




Many have contacted me with kind words on the photography from this trip. I am fortunate to go to many beautiful destinations – it is a pleasure to shoot in such environments and relatively easy to get pleasing results.

The Buddhist Trail offered some interesting challenges – I hope someone finds these tips helpful.

* Use a polariser or UV filter on your lenses – those UV light rays are harsh
* Avoid changing lenses as much as possible – wind blows in the dust
* With all that dust, I used a blow-brush on my Nikon body and lenses daily
* Make sure you have plenty of space on your memory card – it is an extremely photogenic area
* Carry spare batteries – electricity can be scarce (or non-existent)
* Light can change really rapidly, be flexible!
* Use spot metering to be as precise with your exposure as possible
* Buying portraits – chances are, if I am asked I will pay small “modelling fees” to people, especially if they wrinkly (but never to children). I missed a few excellent shots through the lack of small change. No-one asked for money in Lahaul or Spiti
* Sunrise and sunset times vary quite drastically from place to place due to the surrounding mountain ranges. I was up by 6am most mornings, but sometimes had to wait till 7.30 to shoot the light.
* Whilst my D200 has a reinforced body , my lenses aren´t. Unfortunately, I have an external wound on my wide-angle zoom - treat your equipment with the love it deserves.

I am still lugging my heavy Nikon D200 and three lenses. By the time you add the batteries and chargers it´s all too much for an ageing travellist. I am collecting donations for a complete overhaul. Contact me directly to “come to an arrangement”.

Click here to view my extensive portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment