Sunday, April 18, 2010

Where Were You On January 12th?

At separate times I ask both Jean-Luc and Wilkens to relate about their personal experiences of what happened at 4.57pm on January 12th. I paraphrase their descriptions.

Jean-Luc was at home which lies between Port au Prince and Leogane.
I was so tired that day. I had just bought a small bottle of rum and sat down on a chair. My leg had been very bad and i just wanted to rest it. I hear a noise and look around me, The walls are dancing. At first i am hypnotized as i watch with disbelief. Suddenly I become very alert. “Where´s baby Joei! Where´s Baby Joei!” I scream to my wife in the next room. Suddenly I see her, grab her, and hold her so close to my body. “Outside! Outside” i scream to be heard above the deafening noise. We run into the middle of the street. Everyone is outside watching, horrified. It goes on and on till I think it cannot stop anymore and the world is a crazy place. All I can do is hold my daughter so tight and close. It feels like ages and then suddenly it all stops. I look up at the sky to thank God that my time is not up. It is still early evening, but the sky is so black.

Wilkens was in the city centre in a meeting in a government office.
I hear this noise. It is a screaming noise. The walls are shaking violently. I see many people run. I just want to watch and stand still. I want to see where the danger is from. The walls are vibrating and shaking violently like this (he flaps his hands around), i have never seen anything like this. The noise is deafening. The noise won´t stop. It is like an aeroplane noise. I see people run in all directions, I just stand and watch. It goes on and on. Maybe three minutes. Then there is silence. Nothing. Nothing is moving, everything is silent. It feels like ages before I hear the sobbing, the crying and some begin to scream. I have a motorbike outside. I want to help. People are hurt.

Wilkens made many bike journeys to and from hospital that evening, some 10 minutes away. Everyone wanted his help, and many were trying to bribe him to take them first. He wouldn´t take their money and prioritized children and then women.

No comments:

Post a Comment