Saturday, September 12, 2009

Magic Sticks (or Hiking Poles if you prefer)

My Main Man on African adventures is Bubba who blogs over in Canada.

Having just come back from an overnight trip to Kootenay National Park, British Columbia, I was pleased that he also has become a hiking pole convert. My serendipity with sticks came from my Lang tang trek in Nepal last December.

Unshaven and out of Nepalese hiking practice, the stick grows magical powers. Despite the high elevations and rough terrain it gives me huge amounts of energy. I feel like Gandalf the Grey in this fairytale landscape.

In my recent travels through Lahaul and Spiti my stick came with me – not only a godsend, but an interesting prop for the locals.


a local with my "magic" stick

Bubba and I are in good company. In his book, “Like the Flowing River,” Paulo Coelho writes about his “first time with a stick”. A keen hiker, he was amazed at the benefits it reaped and quickly converted his wife to its powers. He googles his discovery where he finds that he has been using it “all wrong”. Now, like Coelho i reckon i´m probably doing it “all wrong,” but it´s only a stick and i don´t care – it helps...

Will i be bringing my Leki Makalu pole with me to Africa? With an ascent of Kilimanjaro not on the cards - probably not. This cat is travelling as light as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment