Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Let’s Do The Time-Warp

Ethiopia boasts a pretty unique time.

The day begins at dawn begins at six on my quality casio pro-trek. This in Ethiopian is 12am. It’s a bit tricky - always check if the time on the bus ticket is local or farangi time.

As i write this posting – my watch also states the date is 21st December – locally it is December 12th – some nine days’ difference.

Christmas will be celebrated on January 6th/7th and both myself and Dr. Gloves will be celebrating Epiphany on the 19th – hopefully somewhere which isn’t Addis, and most hopefully in Lalibela (11 stone churches) or Aksum (rich ancient civilization with the most venerated church in the country.

If that doesn’t seem wild enough for you, here in Ethiopia it’s only 2003. Fortunately my birthday next month now makes me a boy in his thirties. Wild indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment