Friday, October 8, 2010

Ciao Malawi

It might be pretty small and poor but Malawi has a lot to offer visitors, not least the really great locals I have met on this trip. A special mention for Lij Fire who has guided and accompanied me for some interesting trails which I would have missed. With his desire to open an international school in Nkarta Bay and me knowing some useful stuff on the subject we will be in regular contact. His insights into both witchcraft and Rastafarianism have been very enlightening also. Cheers My Bro!

Lij Fire

A packet of Mzuzu coffee and Nali Garlic Chilly will accompany me into Tanzania. Nali must be Milawi’s Number 1 food product. It is basically an extreme peri-peri sauce a fiery chilly based concoction which is ubiquitous in every restaurant in Malawi. It comes in a range of flavours including original, extra hot and chicken. My personal favourite is however is garlic. It’s addictive stuff and i won’t be the first of last to carry a bottle or three for my onward travel. Unfortunately i can’t take any Sobo cherry/plum soda which is another Malawian classic.

Another noteworthy and somewhat surprising “find” was how “normal” the name Aubrey is here – from my doctor in Nkarta Bay to the Malawian owner of Chemba Eagle’s Nest in Cape Maclear. Awesome – I never meet them anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment